Head of Data & Insights
£120k - £140k base
Edge Tech are currently retained by a leading IoT/Smart Cities business that is a global leader in Smart affordable housing. They build cities and neighbourhoods that provide strong infrastructure, technology and services that create long-lasting social and community value. The business has been operating for 5 years, they have received significant funding (€50 million) and are looking to expand their capabilities.
Technology is at the heart of their business, and data powers the decisions they make and each algorithm they build to improve the living experience for their residents. As such they are looking for a Head of Data and Insights, to lead all facets of data across the collection, streaming, reporting, and machine learning.
The Data and Insights Team works with various stakeholders across the business to ensure data is of high quality, access is democratised and governance is assured. The team leads deeper data analysis to uncover customer patterns and inform the product team and business strategy. They also collect data from multiple sources modelling for predictive behaviours and responses.
You will be responsible for:
- Providing overall leadership for a team of Data Scientists
- Defining a long-term strategy and vision for data across the business and translate that into a roadmap
- Create a culture of data collection, integrity, and how to gain insight into this
- Scope areas for deeper analysis that can inform the business and drive customer strategy & decision-making
- Mentor and develop members the data science & analytics team, providing guidance on how to structure analysis and how to effectively query data
- Work closely with engineering leads on architectural decisions around data systems and platforms.
Skills & Experience Required:
- 8+ years Data Engineering / Data Science background
- Experience with best practices in data warehousing along with a deep understanding of warehouse architecture
- Knowledge of data architecture design - being able to explain when to add indices, normalise, denormalise and how to optimise queries
- Experienced in gathering business requirements, structuring analyses and sharing outcomes with the business
- Team Management and leadership skills
- Experience with at least one programming language besides SQL variants (e.g. python, Scala, Go)
- Passionate about all things Data / Data Science / Machine Learning and emerging tech